Equality Impact Assessment (EIA) Equality Impact Assessment is a tool for ensuring that equality, social inclusion and community cohesion issues are considered when drawing up policies or proposals which affect the delivery of services and the employment practice of the Trust.
Equality Impact Assessments help:
- Determine how Trust policies and practice, or new proposals, will impact or affect different communities Groups , especially those groups or communities who experience inequality, discrimination, social exclusion or disadvantage.
- Measure whether policies or proposals will have a negative, neutral, or positive effect on different communities.
- Make decisions about current and future services and practice in fuller knowledge and understanding of the possible outcomes for different communities or customer groups.
- Develop ways of monitoring and reviewing the effects of new or changing policies or proposals as and when they are introduced.
Why do Equality Impact Assessments?
We are required to carry out equality impact assessments because:
- There is a legal requirement to do so in relation to the protected characteristics
- They are a tool to eliminate institutional discrimination
- They are helpful in identifying gaps and make improvements to services
- They help avoid continuing or adopting harmful policies or procedures
- They help you to make better decisions
- They will help you to identify how you can make your services more accessible and appropriate
- They enable the Trust to become a better employer