Who we are
We are a team of qualified nurses who also have training and experience / expertise in the management of epilepsy. We work across the Doncaster Borough with neurologists, GPs, the private, public and voluntary sectors, but most importantly with the patients and their families / carers.
Our epilepsy nurse specialists play a key role in supporting patients with epilepsy across primary, secondary and tertiary care in managing their condition. We support consultant neurology clinics, run nurse led clinics, work in the community and offer a telephone clinic/support service.
- To support people with newly diagnosed epilepsy as well as those with an established condition to live with rather than suffer from epilepsy.
- To empower patients to manage their condition and live as normal a life as possible through appropriate medication and symptom management.
- To prevent avoidable attendances / admissions at hospital
- To guide the patient through their pathway of care and be responsive to their changing needs
- To be a resource or education, research and audit.
How we help
We help by:
- Listening to any problems, assessing presentations and answering questions about epilepsy
- Liaising with other services or disciplines to ensure a high quality holistic approach is provided
- Giving timely support in a place or manner of the patient’s choosing
- Providing educational sessions to patients and carers to engender a better understanding of the causes, types and management of epilepsy
- Providing support for as long as the patient requires
Face to face appointments either in the patient’s home, in an outpatient clinic, at work or (within reason) any place most suitable for the patient to attend.
A telephone service (non-emergency) – accessible by the patient or any person involved in their care (with the knowledge and consent of the patient).
We operate from Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holiday) during normal office hours.
Who can use our service
We work with adults living in Doncaster who have a Doncaster GP.
We are able to visit people who live within the Borough’s boundaries. Patients with a Doncaster GP who live outside the boundary will need to attend a local clinic in Doncaster.
We have established links with the paediatric nurse to improve transition from childrens’ to adult services. We link with South Yorkshire Ambulance Service in order to try and reduce the frequency of patients being taken to hospital.
How to refer to the service
We accept and respond to appropriate referrals from any source whether the patient has a neurologist or not and whether they have a secure diagnosis of epilepsy or not.
Referrals or enquiries can be made in person, in writing or by telephoning Doncaster (01302) 796217
A telephone answering machine will cover the service when the Nurses are otherwise engaged and this is checked regularly. Enquirers should feel free to leave a brief message along with their contact details with the confidence that their call will be responded to at the earliest opportunity.
Telephone: (01302) 796217, fax (01302) 537734
9.am – 5pm Monday – Friday except bank holidays
If the telephone is not answered please leave a short message and contact details on the answer machine and the team will respond to your call as soon as they are able.
Got something to say? Tell us
Your views are important to us and your feedback is key to shaping and enhancing the services we provide.