Respiratory Specialist Nursing & Home Oxygen Review Service
The overall aim of our service is to improve the quality of patient care of those living with a diagnosed respiratory condition in a setting close to, or within their homes.
Referrals will be accepted by referral form, fax or telephone.
We offer the following:
- A full assessment of the patients’ health, social and psychological needs. We work as part of the integrated community team; working closely with Community Nursing, Telehealth/Telecare, and Social Services. We also refer into other agencies relevant to patient care i.e. Department of Works and Pensions for benefits advice.
- Patient and carer education, specifically on the causes and progression of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and the management of the condition. This may include advice on weight, exercise, nutrition, alcohol consumption, medicines and general well-being.
- Education and advice on recognition of the early symptoms of exacerbation and management of infections.
- Development of a personalised self-management plan and provision of a patient held record book where the plan is written, this is done in together with patients and carers. A copy of this plan is then communicated to the patients GP.
- Advice on productive coughing techniques, energy conservation and issues such as relaxation, in conjunction with Respiratory Physiotherpist.
- We check that the inhaled therapy is appropriate for the patient needs and that they can manage their device to ensure they are receiving their medication efficiently.
- Smoking cessation interventions are offered to all smokers and onward referral in agreement with the patient.
- Assessment for suitability for pulmonary rehabilitation and we may refer to a respiratory physiotherapist for individual advice at home or in a clinic setting.
- Capillary blood gas testing service in the patients’ home.
- Review all patients currently prescribed oxygen therapy.
- We support Breathe-Easy which is a patient/carer led group which is a support group affiliated to the British Lung Foundation.
- Advice, education and support to primary care clinicians and other healthcare professionals.
- We work closely with Rotherham Respiratory to offer staff free education.
If you need help to use an inhaler please visit the RDaSH You Tube channel at this link:
You will find a range of videos showing you how to use a range of different inhalers. Simply watch the video relevant to your inhaler.
Breathe Easy Doncaster
Breathe Easy Doncaster was formed in 1997. It is a local support group for people living with a lung condition & is part of the British Lung Foundation
British Lung Foundation: https://www.blf.org.uk/
We work Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm.
Telephone: 01302 379501
Fax details: 01302 379502
Home Oxygen Review Service
Telephone: 01302 535337
Got something to say? Tell us
Your views are important to us and your feedback is key to shaping and enhancing the services we provide.