The Living Well Information & Support Service is part of Be Cancer Safe – a social movement across South Yorkshire, Bassetlaw and North Derbyshire which aims to raise awareness of the signs and symptoms of cancer and the opportunities for screening to increase the number of people diagnosed earlier. We cover the Doncaster area.
Our Living Well Information and Support Service exists to empower and support the people of Doncaster, by providing quality information and support about cancer to enable them to make positive changes to their lives to help them live well.
We believe that everyone can expect to be supported to be able to live to their full potential no matter at what point they are on their journey. We believe that people have a right to expect and receive a professional, quality service that responds to their individual needs.
Watch some videos about the Be Cancer Safe initiative here:
What do we offer?
We offer information and support to the public, patients, their relatives and carers, or anyone worried about cancer. This information includes:
- Emotional support
- Face to face or telephone support
- Referral to local services
- Referral to benefits advisors
- Information about living with cancer, e.g. work related issues, fatigue, diet
- Cancer screening information
- Recognising early signs and symptoms
- Healthy life styles
- Practical help
Pop in and browse our wide range of information on all aspects of cancer. We are able to post information directly to you at home.
We offer a full assessment of your needs and concerns and a clear action plan to address them, working closely with other professionals if necessary.
By working with our partners in the Health Service and Community we can ensure you receive the information and support you need when you need it.
What do people say/ask us?
“How can I learn more about the type of cancer I have?”
“How can I get advice on benefits or help with the extra costs?”
“There is so much going on that I don’t understand and I don’t know if I can cope!”
“Where can I get support from?”
“I was able to talk openly about my illness and how I felt. I was given information I needed to support me and my family.”
“How do I explain things to my children?”
Books on Prescription
- The Reading Agency have worked with Macmillan Cancer Support to involve people who have been diagnosed with cancer in recommending books. Most of the books are not specifically about cancer but have been recommended as books that people found mood-boosting during or after treatment.
- List of 20 titles that they have suggested
We can also offer Books on Prescription for people attending our service.
Information about this service is here:
- Reading Well prescriber handbook
- Books on Prescription core booklist
- Books on Prescription at Doncaster Libraries
Alternatively if you would like specific information about your health and wellbeing or your diagnosis, you can complete the Information Prescription here:
Once the form is complete you can:
- Email it to us via firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax it to us on 01302 796924
- Or post it to: Living Well Information & Support Service, St John’s Information Centre, Tickhill Road Site, Balby, Doncaster DN4 8JS
You can also follow Be Cancer Safe on social media too:
Twitter @SYBhealthcare #becancersafe