Most people will encounter circumstances or times in their life when things feel difficult or hard to cope with.
Stress can leave you feeling exhausted, overwhelmed and not sure what to do next. Sometimes solutions feel like they will take a long time to make a difference, and knowing what you need or want to do doesn’t always make it easy to do it.
During these times there are some basic things you can try that can make things a bit easier and help you feel a little more able to cope:
Look after yourself
This can mean trying your best to:
- Get a good night’s sleep – whenever you can
- Eat right – try and eat as healthily as you can
- Drink sensibly – try and avoid too much alcohol or caffeine (these can add to stress or low mood).
Be kind to yourself
Think how you would treat a friend if they were having a tough time:
- Be patient and understanding towards yourself, try and give yourself a break sometimes
- Try and do at least one thing you enjoy every day
- Try and make time for yourself to relax.
Stay in touch with people
Lots of people enjoy time to themselves, however stress can make people withdraw from others completely, which can sometimes make them feel lonelier and more worried.
- Try and contact one person a day – it’s easy to spend whole days or weeks without speaking to anyone
- Try and go out of the house even just once a day – this can make you feel more connected and be a good distraction
- Try to keep talking to people you care about and who care about you.