The team normally takes referrals for individuals from existing secondary care mental health services and the following eligibility criteria is taken from the Policy Implementation Guidance (DH 2001) for Assertive Outreach Services:
- People with a severe and persistent mental disorder.
- A high history of intervention from in-patient or intensive home treatment care services (normally two or more admissions in a twelve month period).
- Prolonged continuous intervention from in-patient or intensive home treatment services (usually more than six months).
- Difficulty in maintaining lasting and consenting contact with mental health services.
- Multiple complex needs including violent or persistent offending, significant risk of persistent self-harm/neglect, dual diagnosis, unstable accommodation and poor response to treatment.